Sunday, December 8, 2013

A "Frosty" Hat Tree Topper


I was so excited when I found a slim metallic gold Christmas tree for our office this year.  I decided to decorate it white and gold but I was unable to find a good tree topper anywhere.  I knew that I wanted something different so I decided to make one with supplies I had in my craft room.  Let me show you what I came up with....



Here is what I used to make this simple and inexpensive Frosty Hat topper.

Cardboard Hat (In Christmas craft section at Michael's)
Mod Podge
Paint Brush
White Acrylic Paint (Not Shown)
Bag of Artificial Snow
Bling (I used Rhinestones and Ornaments)
Strip of Gold Vinyl or Craft Paper


The first thing you need to do is cut a strip of metallic gold vinyl (or craft paper) and wrap it around the base of the hat...


The next step (which was an after thought and I am glad I did this step....Don't Skip) is to paint a coat of white acrylic paint all over the hat.  This will make the base of it white instead of brown which could have shown through when I started gluing the artificial snow to it...


After the paint dried, start on the top and spread a liberal amount of mod podge all over...


Pour the artificial snow on top of the mod podge and press it in.  I found that pressing it into the mod podge helped it stick....



Repeat the same steps as above until the whole hat is completely covered in the artificial snow...



Let it sit overnight and then add your bling to it.  I put the rhinestones around the gold strip and then hot glued three little white ornaments and two white sprigs to the side...


I love how it turned out and how it is so different....


Thanks for stopping by....

Have a great week!!


Linking to:

uncommondesignsonline.com
Making the World Cuter

Skip To My Lou



9 comments:

  1. That is absolutely adorable! And so chic looking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a cute idea, I love it! Now following you
    Sheena @ http://thekeeperofcheerios.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Clever as can be! Love this whimsical idea. It looks perfect on that tree.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the top hat. What a fun idea! I'd love if you'd link up to The DIY'ers! http://homecomingmn.blogspot.com/2013/12/the-diyers-41.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fabulous idea! I'm so using this for my centre piece this year. Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's the cutest thing ever....Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fun idea and it turned out so well! Please stop by our Link It or Lump It party!

    http://www.delineateyourdwelling.com/2013/12/link-it-or-lump-it-party-17.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love it. Where did you find the skinny tree. My preference would be a silver tree.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...